Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Answer #7

One of these things is not like the others

Barbie
Hot Wheels
Intellivision
Colecovision

Please go to the Question #7 post if you haven't had a chance work on this one yet, since the text below contains the solution.

Over on Twitter, some users (@ohmoemusic first) chose Barbie as the item that isn't like the others. I'm always open to hearing about alternative solutions, so I asked the reason behind this answer, since it wasn't my intended solution. The answer was that the toys/games are not gender-specific, except for Barbie, which is primarily intended for girls.

While I can understand the impulse to see the puzzle in that way, I personally disagree, as I've never really understood the idea of seeing toys as exclusive to one sex. In any case, even if we accept this, I think there is a much stronger answer to the puzzle.

Three of the items on the list are or were created by Mattel. Colecovision was not. It does not belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment